Monday, August 09, 2010

Barf-o-Rama

I was writing this really thoughtful post last Wednesday around 7:30 am when Charlotte asked me, "Mommy... where is Abigail?"  She was asking a very valid question.
Abigail does not typically sleep past 7:30 am.  And as I pondered her question I couldn't even remember hearing a peep out of her that night.  I went upstairs to check on her and say good morning.  Whoa!  Foul odor upon entering room!  Barf everywhere in her crib. 
I got her up, bathed her, stripped the bed and  helped her to some dry cheerios and a little water.  One parenting tip I have learned (the hard way) is to not give milk products to a baby who is vomiting for a good 24 hours, assuming they truly have a stomach bug.
We got Charlotte off to school and spent the day at home.  I was on barf-watch.  Around 2 o'clock I broke my rule, assuming Abby was fine and the barf-filled crib was a freak accident.  I gave her a bottle of milk.  45 minutes later she came to me crying and threw up all over me. 
A trip to the doctor's office the next day confirmed Abby had a double ear-infection.  I actually suspected this.  And then trusty internet told me that vomiting accompanies an ear infection.  A sigh of relief that we were all spared the potential, awful stomach-flu.
But no!  Thursday around 4:30 Bob calls and says he is on his way home from work, feeling nauseous.  By 6:00 pm he's hugging the toilet.  By  midnight it is my turn.
Charlotte lasts until Sunday morning and then she falls, too.
Sheesh... the barfs passed through all of us in under a week.  We are all feeling okay now. 
I deleted my unpublished-post. It was about the feelings (some good, many exasperated) that came with being home with your kids all the time.  Spend a few days with your kids sick, and you want to take away all their pain.  Nothing makes me weaker in the knees than my own kids being sick. 
I am so thankful their sickness is over almost faster than it comes on.  How lucky I am to have a strong, healthy family.
Now... I could go back to complaining about my woes being a stay at home mom.  But I think I'll save it for another day. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are old posts.